Monday, December 14, 2009

Ryan Giggs named Sports Personality of the Year 2009



A televisual event which confounds expectations more times than not last night honoured Ryan Giggs as a surprise BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The Manchester United winger earned the viewers’ accolade for his durability, honesty and loyalty, beating Formula One world champion Jenson Button into second place by 55,000 votes.

Clearly surprised by the award, the 36-year-old Giggs said: ‘That is a big shock, as you can tell by the speech I’ve prepared. As if I wasn’t nervous enough, my heroes Seb Coe and Michael Johnson are sitting right here in front of me.

Winner of Sports Personality of the Year 2009, Ryan Giggs

Wing wizard: Giggs is the most decorated player in English football history

‘Liberty and Zach, my kids, you can go to bed now. You’ve got school in the morning.

‘I’ve been lucky enough to win a lot playing for the greatest manager who ever lived and the greatest team, but this is up there with all of that. I grew up watching this show.

‘It’s more special because I’m in my thirties. You don’t expect to win things at this age. You expect to win them when you’re younger and supposedly in your prime.

‘I might have to put the award on the table when I go in and speak to the club about a new contract.’

The best footballer I have ever seen.

No comments: