Saturday, February 21, 2009

My XL


I have been watching football since 1980s, I remember a little bit watching Mario Kempes scoring for Argentina in the 1978 World Cup final, but at that time, I was just too small. I beginning to watch football during the 1982 World Cup. During that time, we get Germany League on TV, slowly follow by English First Division footballs. That was when I beginning to follow Manchester United.

I always wanted to know if I get to pick a football team, who would make it to my XL. I won’t pick those I don’t get to watch when I was too small. So players like Frank Backenbauer, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Gerd Muller or Pele are not in my XL, even though I have read great deals about them telling me how good they were, but I cannot tell by looking at 5 minutes footages of them in action. I am picking players whom I have seen in live football matches, not just World Cups, but when they are playing for their clubs and countries. Here are my best XL and the substitutes.


Peter Schmeichel – The way he makes himself big during 1-on-1 situation with strikers mean he has high success rate! He is a world class goalkeeper, guiding Man Utd and Denmark to various glories.

Cafu – The best right back during his time. I love to see Cafu playing, he is always playing with a smile. Fair, smart and full of flair.

Ronald Koeman – Takes exceptional free kicks! Koeman is rock solid in his tackling and a true leader.

Franco Baresi – The man behind AC Milan’s domination during the 80s. Baresi is a legend, has great distribution skills and read games very well. He isn’t the fastest but his positioning sense is world class. A great leader too. He will be my captain.

Paolo Maldini – The best left back I have seen. He runs the left flank of the field when he was young, and still going strong at the older age. Maldini is world class.

 

Lothar Matthaus – Need someone to tackle and win the ball in this creative midfield. Matthaus has that ability, plus he is one stunning midfielder.

Diego Maradona – Need I say more? Remember Mexico 86 and his Napoli days?

Zinedine Zidane – Wizard in the middle of the field. This team will score plenty of goals for sure. Pure class.

Ryan Giggs – Never play in the World Cup, but he has won all the major competitions at club level. I need someone who can run at the wings, Giggs is the best there is.

 

Marco Van Basten – He will convert 90% of the chances in a game! Excellent temperament and process silky skill, he is lighting quick too.

Lionel Messi – He still has a lot of prove, but I am including him in anyway. I am sure you know why.

 

Sub

Gianluigi Buffon – Another world class goalkeeper.

Jorginho – I have seen him running the right flank for Brazil in the world cup. He is the ideal replacement should Cafu is not available.

Frank Rijkaard – One of the 3 Dutch Trios that made AC Milan great! He is superb in winning the ball and very strong in the air.

Lilian Thuram – The reason for France’s success in the 90s. Superb defender.

 

Kaka – Speed, skill, and very modest world class midfielder. He belongs to Jesus!

Ruud Gullit – Explosive runs, great shooting, and a true leader. He will run your midfield. I would like to include Zico or Falcao here, but I think Gullit deserves his place.

Michael Laudrup – One of the most exciting players I have seen. I just love to see him running with the ball and do tricks. He adds flair to the team. C.Ronaldo would has been here if not for him. I think Laudrup edges him a little bit. Then again, there is also Luis Figo and Dennis Bergkamp to consider.

Michael Platini – France’s captain fantasy. Take great free kicks… but Maradona, Zidane and even Koeman will probably not letting him taking them! Early 80s' best midfielder. 

 

Ronaldo (Brazilian) – He was the best striker in the world at his best. Too bad the injuries were getting to him. But I pick him for his forms when he was dominating the world football!

Raul Gonzalez - Leading goal scorer in European Champions League and break Real Madrid's club scoring record. He is superb finisher and lethal inside the box. Romario is another great striker that I have to leave out.

Of course, Sir Alex is my manager to manage this team. He is the best out there, no doubt about it. 

*I am a Manchester United fan, but I have to leave C.Ronaldo, Bryan Robson, Paul Scholes and Roy Keane out. 

2 comments:

[alfred] said...

Yip's XL:

Goalkeeper : Oliver Kahn
Defenders : Roberto Carlos + Maldini + Thuram
Midfielder : Kaka + Gazza + Baggio + Gullit + Matthaus
Striker : Romario + Gary Lineker + Klinsmann

[alfred] said...

ok, that was 12 person team! Not XL!