Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Man Utd XL


Again, I won't pick those players I don't get to watch them play. I only starting watching in the 80s.

Nobody plays better than Schmeichel in goal for United ever since I watched them. Bailey was good, then nobody else was good enough until Schmeichel came. After big Dane was gone, we have to wait for a long time until Van Der Sar arrived. But by then, we have a very solid defencein front of him to protect him. Bruce and Pallister were good partnership, but I think Rio Ferninand and Vidic beat them without a doubt.

I always think Jaap Stam is rock solid and hard as nail, so I have to include him. I never think Bruce is solid enough, but Pallister makes the cut, so he is in the reserve ahead of Paul McGrath.

Gary Neville never cut it for me to be a very good right back, so I am putting Rio there. We have Vidic and Stam in the middle, and the ever reliable Dennis Irwin on the left back position. Evra could have been there but I think Irwin has got more medals, at least for now, so he is there in the starting XL.

Most United fans would pick Giggs and Cantona in the midfield, so am I. There is not much explaination here because they are the legends.

I pick Robson ahead of Scholes and Keane (both are in my reserve) purely for the fact that he was my hero when I started to follow United. He wouldn't let the team down for sure and he always run himself into the ground for United. I would love to include Scholes in my XL, but then again, Ronaldo is picked purely because he is the first United player to be named the Best in the World. You can't argue about his ability and skill. Some people have doubt on his loyalty though.

Carrick is in the reserve for his ball passing ability. Nobody comes close to him, not even Neil Webb or Gordon Strachan. Of course, Beckham is in the reserve too for his free kicks!

Ruud Van Nistelrooy holds the best goal scoring ratio and he is far ahead of Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke. Sparky is in my reserve for his spectacular finishing in front of goals and his ability to hold on to the ball. And then the super sub, Ole Gunner Solskjaer, is picked ahead of Frank Steplaton and Terry Sheringham. Wayne Rooney makes the XL purely for his ability. Maybe I watched him too often compared to other strikers!

Anyway, my XL would probably win the lots too. I think.


No comments: