Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paul Scholes hits 600-game mark


1995...

PAUL SCHOLES has been hailed by some of soccer’s greatest names over the years.

ZINEDINE ZIDANE: “My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest of his generation.”

EDGAR DAVIDS: “I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is. We can all learn from Paul Scholes.”

MARCELLO LIPPI: “Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team — that is how highly I have always rated him.

“An all-round midfielder with quality and character in abundance.”

LAURENT BLANC: “I tell anyone who asks me — Scholes is the best English player.”

THIERRY HENRY: “Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Paul Scholes.

“He knows how to do everything, and he is the one who directs the way his team plays. On top of all that, he has indestructible mental strength, and he is a genuine competitor.”

PETER SCHMEICHEL: “His reading of the game is unsurpassed. He has the best eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have.

“He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen.”

Bobby Charlton: “When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.”

Scholes will make his 600th appearance for the Red Devils in tonight’s Prem game against Portsmouth at Old Trafford.

One of the greatest but most unassuming figures to play the game, the 34-year-old continues to turn it on. Scholes is fourth in the all-time United list for appearances behind only Bill Foulkes (688), Sir Bobby (758) and, at the top, Ryan Giggs (798).

Scholes has hit 142 goals for United and is one of the best volleyers and long-range shooters the game has seen.

Scholes earned 66 England caps, scoring 14 goals and retired from internationals after Euro 2004.

He said: “I am lucky in that I’ve had everything I need. I’m at Manchester United. What more do I need?”


No comments: